In case you were wondering, I have completely recovered from my chocolate ordeal and am doing fine now. My friend made me lie on the couch for a few hours, and throw away my APA formatted paper on the health benefits of chocolate, but other than that, things are looking up.
Now, back to the matter at hand:
My friend has, in her immediate family, some humans of younger age. She calls them her niece and nephew. The girl is ten years old and the boy the age of eight. She told me that they were coming to stay with her for three nights while their parents were on a vacation. (Much needed I can tell you due to the hyperactivity of the children.) As I was staying in the only available guest bedroom, my belongings were moved downstairs for the time being. (All for my wireless communicator which I have seemed to have misplaced. . . .)
The children arrived at half past two with a flurry of excitement and suitcases. After the parents had kissed the children goodbye and fled (The boy screaming the whole time) they settled down to take in their surroundings.
I had remained hidden behind around the corner of the room when they had arrived and peered cautiously at them. They seemed harmless enough, though the girl jumped at my sudden presence and the boy stuck out his tongue. "Who are you?" The girl demanded. "I'm a friend of your Aunt's. She-" "Are you her boyfriend?" she asked me with a sly glance at her brother. This term was new to me. I was a boy and a friend so the apparent answer would be yes. "Yes, I guess you could call it that." I replied. The girl giggled. "Spock! What did you just tell them?" My friend came walking in from the other room. "You have a boyfriend you have a boyfriend!" The children teased. My friend flushed slightly then grabbed me by the arm (which has become quite bruised recently as this motion occurs often.) and pulled me into the other room. There I was quickly informed of the meaning of the word "Boyfriend" and that if ever repeated with her name in the same sentence would end with myself so obliterated that my very existence would have been questioned by even the smallest speck of dust. Nodding furiously that I understood, she released me.
*Side note, for the definition of "Boyfriend" I have included it at the bottom of the post.
I went back into the living room. The children were sitting side by side on the couch and were conversing quietly. They threw several glances in my direction. "Gabe, what did you just say?" My friend walked in the room. The children's whispers ceased. "Nothing." The boy's guilty face tried to smile innocently. "Uh huh. Right. No making fun of my friend here ok? He. Is. Just. A. Friend." She heavily pronounced the last sentence. The children nodded, but their eyes still glinted with laughter, the worse was yet to come. "Spock, this is Gabriel and this is Charley." My friend said introducing me to the young earthlings. "I don't think you've met Gabe, but the last time you met Charley was at that family party, she was just a baby then."
I remembered. It had been my first encounter with a human infant and after having the child thrust into my reluctant arms, she had thrown up all over me and whatever object was near by.
The stench of baby drool never left my clothing and I had to get a new communicator because the one I had had was damaged beyond compare. I most certainly remembered.
"Spock, say Hi." My friend said pulling me out of my reflecting. "Hello." I said tentatively. The girl still had a glint in her eye. The boy seemed friendly though. He smiled broadly and waved, not yet under his sister's evil spell.
The day wore on. The girl, Charley, went with my friend to the store and I was left with Gabriel. He smiled at me and handed me a book to read. He then sat very close to me on the couch and begged me to read the book. I obliged. The book was about space travel and he enjoyed it very much. Though I don't think he noticed that I changed facts to make them more accurate, or omitted parts that were purely false. After I finished, he clapped his hands and shouted, "Again, again!" I looked at the book with distaste. The plot was fine, but the illustrations of monkeys in space suits were nauseating. I suggested a different story, and he seemed fine with that. I then proceeded to tell him a story of the time when I went with Kirk to Romulus and he got into a fight, which I saved him from only by Vulcan gripping every person he fought with and then mind melding them to prevent any memory of the accident from occurring. (To this day, Kirk has no memory of this fight, but the scar on his forehead is proof enough) Gabriel liked the story so much that I told him another one, this time about what McCoy does in medical and how he teases me relentlessly over my abhorrence of blood. I had told him about four stories by the time my friend got home and seeing us having so much 'fun' (though it was really a lecture on space physics) left us alone until dinner time.
I predict that boy will grow up to be a great scientist one day, maybe even better than that 'Smart Alec' that everyone swears by.
Boyfriend: A boyfriend is a person's regular companion in a romantic relationship, usually in a long-term, committed (E.g. marital) relationship. (Earth definitions are confusing, they should simply have it be what it says: Boy. Friend. I will have to post more of their double meaning words.)
25.2.10
Relatives- Part I
Posted by No Ordinary Mind at 25.2.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Annotations:
Dear Spock,
Yes, earth words are very confusing. I'm glad to see you interacting with children! Gabriel could end up being a great scientist... Maybe he could even learn Vulcan science, too.
Dear Friend,
Your niece and Nephew sound cute!
Holly
Spock,
I am sorry Charley puked all over you. That has happened to me too; I understand what you are going through. Those words with double meanings are tricky. You'll love it when you start getting comments with double meanings, and not just words!
Friend,
Since when did you have a niece and nephew?
Dj
Dj- I don't have a niece or nephew. :) Don't tell Spock I know this, but he is really taken with the little boy. It's funny to watch him when he thinks no one is looking. I have to wonder if Spock had any siblings... I'll ask him.
Post a Comment