My friend seeing my interest in space took me to a planetarium. Planetariums are places filled with Styrofoam balls painted with neon colors to resemble planets. (Nothing like what we have on Vulcan) You are led around by a boy who repeats only what he has been told to say, and upon asking where the Vulcan exhibit is, gives you a blank stare. In which the rest of your so called tour group snickers at you. A middle aged man approached and put his hand on my shoulder, "This isn't the movie theater sonny, The Enterprise is five miles that way." Thinking this hand gesture was something similar to a hand shake, I put my hand on the man's shoulder, only to have him crumple to the floor. "Hey what'd you do?" called out someone from the crowd, along with several other voices. Realizing the correct way to answer questions on earth, I tried the eye rolling expression which is so common with my earth friend. But this didn't seem to have a positive response from the crowd. My friend grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the group. "Why did you have to go and do something like that?" She whispered furiously. "I was only trying to respond in the proper way. Isn't that what you do on earth? Something similar to a hand shake?" At this she just slapped her forehead, which is apparently a new way to answer questions. "C'mon." She said, we might as well finish the rest of the tour. But, before we continued, she pulled me down to the gift shop (A place where they sell smaller replicas and photos of what you have already seen.) and bought a thing they call a hat which said, "I brake for aliens" and put it on my head. "There." she said. "That will hide your ears. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier." We then proceeded down the hall and past our previous tour members, who were helping the man onto some type of conveyance structure while two people in white uniforms filled a syringe with something that looked like water. My friend quickly pushed me past before I could see anymore.
The planetarium has several display cases with random objects from space, such as rocks, but I could not decide why they would want to collect something as ordinary as rocks. They also have giant Styrofoam balls in resemblance to a planet with facts written underneath. Upon reading one, I said, "That is false! Why would you have such things in a museum when you are clearly catering to the didactics of children?" "Not now Spock." Was all my friend would say with a typical rolling of the eyes. We continued down the hall, but without one sighting of an exhibit for Vulcan.
We then went on a contraption they call a "Simulator". You sit down and then the lights go out as a deep voice gives you a lesson on space (Not all true by the way) and then a screen flashes on in front of you and it displays images in space as you are rocked back in forth in your seat. The deep voice narrator going the whole time. It finally ends with the Narrator screaming, "Mayday! Mayday!" and an image of a giant meteor coming to hit you. Then, you exit the "Simulator" a smiling attendant hands you a sticker of the planetarium's logo and you then step outside into their "Gift shop" and little children run around screaming to "buy this" or "Buy that"
We left the planetarium and while walking to the car, my friend asked me, "So what did you think of the planetarium Spock?" "That it was truly an illogical and fascinating ordeal." My friend just laughed.
8.2.10
The planetarium
Posted by No Ordinary Mind at 8.2.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 Annotations:
Spock,
Earth customs are hard to understand, even for earthlings. I prommise that you will get the eyeroll right. I'm sorry about the shoulder thing. It's a very sensitive spot to most earthlings, and especially with your awesome vulcan power they just can't handle it. Some other earth customs, such as Josh Groban, are much better. Live long and prosper.
Spock's "friend",
Well...ok then. I don't like to admit defeat...but this is rather humorous. Amazing.
Dj
P.S. Not only am I getting the guilt trip about band from Mr. King, but from David too!
Dear Spock,
Going to the planetarium was a good thing for you to do! Us earthlings are not as knowledgeable about space, sadly.
The whole confusion about the handshake is very understandable. People are weird. Vulcan death grip things are very interesting.
Holly
(I agree, that was very funny!)
Post a Comment