26.5.10

The great soda experiment

I walked into the kitchen humming to myself only to stop and do a double take,
"What on Earth are you doing?"

Spock didn't look up from writing in a note book,

"The correct terminology would be 'what on Vulcan' but I will forgive you this time. As to what I am doing....
This time he glanced at me, "Isn't it obvious?"

I looked around;  various drinking glasses were lined in a neat row with containers of soda behind them.

"Having a drinking party?"

He gave me a withering glare, "No."

"Then please," I said sitting down in front of him, "Enlighten me."

"I am so glad you asked."  He grinned mischievously.

"Have you ever noticed that carbonated soda will bubble and overflow?"

I nodded.

"Well, I was wondering if depending on what kind of soda you use, if that would alter the speed and amount at which the carbonation rises. I also wondered if at different heights the carbonated liquid would change.
Will it rise as much if you pour it from a great height verses a low one? How does that change the bubbling content?"

I stared at him, "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"You're crazy! It's just soda! And I wanted that for my party this weekend!"

"Oh.." he paused, "I'm sorry about that, I'll buy you some more. And why didn't I hear about this party?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Because," I stuttered, "A bunch of girl friends of mine are coming over to...."

He nodded, giving me a knowing glance, "George Clooney, Christopher Reeves or Harrison Ford?"

I felt my face blush at how well he knew me. "None of the above. We're going to watch scary movies instead."

He shrugged, "Don't blame me when you can't sleep at night. Why do you like those things anyway?"

"I don't know... their fun."

"Fear is fun?"

"Augh, I don't know! Would you rather have a bunch of girls screaming in terror or sobbing and giggling over some cute actor?"

He thought for a second, "The first option."

"I thought so."

He went back to doing his 'experiment'.  Taking one of the bottles, he stood up on a chair and began to pour it into a glass.
"What kind of scary movies do you watch anyway? I mean-hold that will you?- they seem ludicrous."

I steadied the glass for him as he carefully poured it in. "Don't you like feeling scared just for fun?"

He gave me a blank look and stepped down from the chair in answer.

He looked at the results of his experiment. "It appears to foam instead of bubble when poured from a greater height. Fascinating."

"You are such a nerd." I said sighing and standing up, "Tell me when you're done."

He waved a hand in response, "Understood."

Two hours later,  I went back into check on him, "You've been awfully quiet, what have you been doing?"

He had cleaned up the kitchen and was sitting in an arm chair looking slightly guilty.

"Nothing."

"I thought you were 'experimenting'."

"I was."

"Well? What happened?"

He sighed, "You seriously didn't hear anything?"

"No...."

"No crashing sounds of any kind?"

I gave him a glare, "What did you do?"

"Did you happen to have any sentimental connections to a certain blue and white glass?"

"You broke it?"

"Possibly."

"And?! Where is it?"

He gave a sheepish grin and walked over to the counter and moved a bowl.  Behind it I saw a  half reassembled glass.
"I'm sorry. I'll try and fix it."

"That's ok."  It was kind of sweet how apologetic he looked, "You really tried to fix it?"

He shrugged.

"Carbonated soda explodes easily. Don't ask about your kitchen towels."

With that he gave one last jaunty grin and left the room.

1 Annotations:

Miss Dorian said...

*laughter* That's awesome. Good job for trying to fix it, Spock. That is quite an interesting experiment.

...don't be too scared by your movies Friend.