11.4.10

Darcy

My friend has acquired a cat. Cats are small, devious creatures who glare at you unblinkingly from any corner of the room. She has named this cat "Darcy" after the famous Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. The name suits the cat rather well as it's personality is  to sit sulkily on a book shelf and look down on anyone that approaches. My friend says I'm jealous and being anthromorphic, which possibly might be true. (The anthromorphic part, not jealousy. I would never be jealous of such a lowly creature as a sentimental feline.) 
The cat is pure black, with huge yellow/green eyes and large pointed ears.  I told my friend that his ears look like saucers and that something must be seriously wrong with it. She retaliated with the fact that my ears are pointed and there's nothing wrong with me. At least not yet. I resent that.

Such were the circumstances when I retired for bed that evening.

 I walked over to the window and stopped short to see Darcy lying on my bed.


“You can’t sleep there.” The cat opened one eye but didn’t move.

Feeling ridiculous for addressing the cat, I tried gingerly lifting him off the bed, but he hissed and spat venomously. Jumping back, I glared at the cat who purred triumphantly. I looked at the bed again, the idea of that creature lying next to me was not appealing. Deciding that if left alone he might leave, I got ready for bed and returned to find the cat still there.
Not to be outwitted by a cat, I spoke calmly, “Fine. You in your outright display of rebellious behavior which is so unlike your domestic ancestry, appears to have won this argument. On the contrary, I, in my genetically superior ways, forfeit this bed therefore making this a hollow victory. I will be much happier sleeping on the floor while you sleep in guilt."
The cat blinked slowly.
I sighed, so much for logical reasoning.

Carefully gathering blankets from off my bed, I laid them on the floor and turned off the lights. The cat's eyes glowed evilly in the darkness, competing with the soft glow of the glow in the dark constellations.

It was a long night.
My friend told me that I didn't look rested in the morning. I wonder why. Darcy on the other hand was perfectly fine and content to continue his vigil of glaring from the book shelves.

5 Annotations:

Miss Dorian said...

Hahahaha! *cough* I mean...

Dear Spock,

I am sorry. That is highly annoying. My cat is not so ... difficult as Darcy, but has a very loud meow and insists upon keeping people awake. Make sure you keep your door shut during the day, then maybe he won't be able to get in. Good luck. Make sure to eat your lucky charms.

Holly

Emilie said...

Hey what is wrong with people/cats that have pointed ears?!?!?! s

Emilie said...

You will never guess what the "s" at the end is for and I will never tell you! (insert evil laugh)

No Ordinary Mind said...

Emilie dear, confiding in me would be a logical choice. What does the letter stand for? Answer carefully.... I am coming to visit you.... in Enterprise.
:)

Dj said...

Cats are EEEEEEEEEEEvil. With emphasis on the E. Seriously, avoid them at all costs.