"What are you going to wear to the dance?" My friend asked me, walking into my room. "An oxygen mask and safety gloves." "My friend rolled her eyes. "Please." "No, I think it's quite logical, you wear an oxygen mask to prevent dizziness from all of the different perfumes and you wear gloves to protect you from the sweaty palms of all your dancing partners." "Hm, good point." My friend said. "But just don't wear your black uniform ok?" "Why?" I asked, as that had been the article of choice. "You look like some freaky ninja from the Matrix movies." I raised an eyebrow, "What is the Matrix?" "Oh never mind!" My friend sighed, exasperated and left the room. I tend to have that affect on her, I find it quite useful.
*
"Just try and have fun." We were walking up the steps to the dance. "Is that advice or a threat?" I asked dryly. My friend didn't hear me, as a friend of hers had started talking to her. I waited patiently by her side while observing the room. It was a formal affair and the chandeliers and rich atmosphere was intoxicating. Groups of girls were scattered randomly about, dressed in brightly colored dresses and whispering as they glanced at the various gentlemen. My friend's voice pulled me back. "And this is my friend, Spock." I nodded gravely to the young lady, she smiled and her cheeks blushed red. My friend seemed slightly irritated by that and soon broke up the conversation. We moved farther inside. The music was provided by an orchestra, and I stood watching the instruments in silent fascination. "Will you stop that?" My friend said, "With the way you stare, you'd think you were a three year old that had never seen a violin before." I raised an eyebrow, "Oh. Right. The violin is that one there." My friend said pointing. I saw Mark from across the room. He had seen my friend and was walking across the room, then he spotted me, with a glare, he turned abruptly and stalked away. "Friendly people you have here." I said under my breath. My friend wasn't listening. She was again talking to one of her friends. This friend wasn't even trying to pretend like she was listening. She was openly gaping at me. Feeling uncomfortable, I made eye contact and gave a slight nod of my head in acknowledgment. She blushed harder.
"Would you stop that!" My friend whispered furiously. "Stop what?" "Stop that." "Stop what?" I asked again, thoroughly confused. "You're flirting with her!" "I most assuredly am not!" I retorted, shocked. "Whatever made you come to such a conclusion?" Just then, a group of girls walked by, one of them dropping her purse. Without thinking, I bent and picked it up for her. The girl took the purse, giggling and walked away. I looked back at me friend. She had an, "I told you so" look on her face. "What?" I asked, exasperated. She just rolled her eyes, "Do it again." "Do what again?" "That look you do. The raised eyebrow/smile thing." "May I ask why?" "Just do it. For science, for me, whatever, just do it!" This was getting awkward. I randomly picked a girl standing in the corner and did what she asked. The result was the same. "See!" My friend said. "Proof! They like you!" "It does not! It merely proves that dances provide the atmosphere of flirtatious people. See look: that man right there is smiling at that young woman, she in turn will....." I trailed off, the lady had walked away.
My friend looked smug. "Somebody likes Spock!" She sang. Well, at least she wasn't mad at me. This dance had to be the most ludicrous thing I had ever attended. Matching my friend's sing song voice, I asked her, "Are you jealous?" "Me?! Jealous? Of you!?" She looked incredulous. "No! Ew! I mean.. No!!" She was completely flustered. I smirked, "I think you are." "I told you-"
"Dance with me." I interupted. "What?!" "Dance with me!" I asked, desperate now, I had spotted Heather and she was coming closer. I grabbed my friend's hand and spun her out onto the dance floor. "Spock what on earth- "Vulcan" "Fine, Vulcan are you doing?" "Heather." I whispered quietly. "Ah." My friend said, "You really are a three year old, how does dancing with me prevent you from meeting her?" Hm, she had a point. "It will simply buy me time until I can think of something." "So you don't have a plan?" "No, not really." My friend laughed. She was quietly laughing until the song ended. She stepped back, "Now what?"
Heather was getting closer.
26.3.10
Dancing II
Posted by No Ordinary Mind at 26.3.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 Annotations:
RUN!
Post a Comment